The Latest on the Lowes

We started this blog to share the transformation of our 1926 fixer...but with time and the addition of kids it has become my way of documenting two childhoods...the triumphs, moments of hilarity, lessons learned and everything in between.

Saturday, May 02, 2015

Spring is looking up...

April. More in bloom, days even longer, Easter, report cards and kids in high gear.  A summary in pictures and quotes:

Matteo: Look, mama - pumpalumps!
Me: You mean pumpkins? 
Matteo: No, pumpalumps. Pumpkins look like pumpalumps

Me: Oops! You're shirt is on backwards.
Matteo: The tag goes in the back, or it will be silly for business!


In April we went to the PAWS Gala...where they had a kitten tent.
We sent the sitter this pic to share with Lily

And this one

This is the reaction shot we got back.  No, we didn't
come home with a kitten.  Thankfully they were too
young to be adopted...which is good because THIS FACE
is awfully hard to say no to.

Matteo:  I am just freaked out!
(His new thing. Applies to everything from jammies to Bob to Team UmiZoomi)

Matteo on the way home from school: I go to Gotham and visit my friend Batman!  We drive in the car, it is only 3 seconds away!

Matteo: I’m little
Chris: That’s what makes you so cute
Matteo: (long pause) I’m adorable
 
Matteo, after I kissed his adorable chubby foot:  I don't have owies so I don't need kisses!
 
Me: Hi Matteo!
Matteo: MOMMY! I am sooooo proud of you!
Me: Really? Why?
Matteo: Because YOU are my MOM and I love you so so so MUCH! (while hugging and patting me on the back)
 


Miss Lily this year left notes for the Easter Bunny instructing
him to set up separate hunts for her and Matteo on different
levels of the house.  Hers went swimmingly. She also declared
jelly beans shall henceforth be called bunny poops.
Me: The Bunny came!  Matteo: Why?

Lily and I made an Easter cake.  Didn't turn out too well....

...that is until we covered it in whipped cream and strawberries.
Dairy products and fruit are magical.

Me, reading the flier for the upcoming walk/bike to school week: One or two days we will reward our walkers and riders with healthy snacks!
Lily: Yay! Wait...did it say healthy?
Me: Yep
Lily: Poop

Picking up Matteo: Oh my boy!
Matteo: You mean your doodlebugger!

Chris, observing Lily delightedly calling her friend Ilicia: I am sooooo not ready for this for at least another 3 years.
(apparently she wasn't either - after a stilted minute and a half of giggling they hung up)

We also got Lily's 2nd report card of the year: "Lily is a delight to have in class. She has a wonderful sense of humor and enjoys interacting with her peers. Lily has made great progress in reading.....I am so pleased to have Lily as a student this year! Way to go Lily!"
THERE ARE NO WORDS. School has never come easily to Lily and this made my heart sing. Her wonderful teacher who truly understands and appreciates her has made all the difference in the world. We are brimming with pride and gratitude that our girl is now caught up to her peers in reading. I'm under no delusion that academic issues won't still arise, but for the first time they feel conquerable. 

These two. So much love.

This guy.  Heart melting.